The first matches took place at a pond in Barr Wood near Craigend, Auchenbowie, taking advantage of an existing stretch of open water. It was meant to be temporary and the club were always on the lookout for something nearer Bannockburn itself.
At the beginning of 1865, the Stirling Journal reported that the club had been granted the use of Canglour Pond by Major Erskine. This was an old distillery pond and not ideally suited for curling either as mentioned by Mr J Muirhead when replying to a presentation made to him at the annual supper in 1927.
Mr J Dick of Craigiegelt was also promoting the use of Buckieburn curling pond to the club and although more suitable for playing, but was much further away from the club's members that it never was accepted.
"Buckieburn Pond, the privilege of playing there having been granted by Mr Crawford, late of Glenhead and kindly continued by his successor Mr Leggate and further to increase the interest of the district in it, John Dick Esq of Craigiegelt has presented Sauchie & Canglour Club with a beautiful medal to be played annually on this pond." Stirling Journal, 18th February, 1870
J Dick of Craigiegelt Medal, the first match, Stirling Journal, 12th March 1869
During the week, this district was visited with a severe fall of snow to the depth of 7 to 8 inches and considerable drifting in some parts. Buckieburn curling pond for the rink medal presented to Sauchie and Canglour Club by John Dick Esq of Craigiegelt. The game commenced at 9 o’clock when the draw paired no 1 and 2 rinks and no 3 with no 4. Time an hour and a half. On time being called, the score stood as follows:
No1 - 9 v No2 - 10 and No3 - 11 v No4 - 12. Nos 2 and 4 winners of the first tie.
Time being fixed at 1 hour, play commenced again amidst considerable excitement on account of the former play being so keenly contested. On beginning to play up the last end, both rinks stood equal, but this was quickly decided by No 2 rink scoring 2 shots
– the final score being: No2 - 7 v No4 - 5, +2 up.
Mr W Drysdale of Craigiegelt , the skip for No 2 rink is therefore entitled to the medal for the season. The ice was first rate and a more gamely contested medal has not been played for this season.
Such was the enthusiasm for curling that the members were prepared to cart their stones through so much snow to play their game. Buckieburn was played on twice more in February and December 1870.
The club never played any matches against other clubs on its own pond during this period, a state of affairs that could not continue. On the 11th July 1870, a special meeting was held to discuss a motion proposing that the affairs of the club be finally wound up. After much discussion an alternative proposal was but before the meeting that a deputation of three be sent to Sir Alexander Maitland about a new pond. This was unanimously agreed to and the winding up motion withdrawn.
At the annual supper on 7th February 1871, it was reported that "a deputation from the club should wait upon Major Wilson, Bannockburn, to consult him as to the propriety of having a new pond in the neighbourhood of Bannockburn, there being no pond there at present at which natives of that ‘historical city’ can meet to show their skills at the roaring game." Stirling Journal, 17th February, 1871
By the Annual General Meeting on 3rd October 1871, the minutes report that a committee was appointed to look at the ground proposed by Sir Alexander for a new pond at Wauk Mill to report if said land be as suitable and the probable expense of construction.
The club was about to create a purpose built curling pond at Wauk Mill fit for all their curling needs.