Outdoor or waterborne curling was indeed adventurous with several amusing accounts in the minute books.
Friday 19th November 1926
“The pond Committee reported that the pond had been cleared and a new sluice gate fitted and the fence repaired by Mr Penny of Cambusbarron. A tree to form the weir in the Bannock at the inlet pipe to the Pond was gratuitously given by Sauchieburn Estates, by Mr W.C. Davidson, Factor. This was fitted by Mr. Penny, and two days after, it was washed away by a spate on the burn and could not be found. On the motion of Mr A. L. Wilson it was agreed to send a letter of thanks to Mr. Davidson for the tree, and to ask for another tree to replace it.”
31st Dec. 1927
“Only one game played this season, this being for the Col. Murray Trophy against Stirling. A few friendly games were played on poor ice during December, with the ice giving way on Christmas day and a few got a wetting.”
“It is regrettable to note that there was no waterborne ice for curling this season.”
The first games were now being played at Edinburgh and Crossmyloof Ice Rinks, and with a series of mild winters with little or no frost spelling the end of outdoor curling. The last outdoor game in the minutes was a friendly against Borestone on the 1st of March 1947. Scoring as follows;
Borestone Sauchie and Bannockburn
A. Oswald 28 W.D. Muirhead 11
W. Spence 19 Thos. Main 11
W. Thomson 17 W. Muirhead 18
Although the pond was regularly cut and maintained for several more years, it was not used. The minutes noted a “keen frost from the 1st to the 6th Dec. 1952 and despite very good ice, only 4 members turned up.” At the AGM in 1954 the members voted on a committee proposal to cease with the upkeep of the pond. Members were instructed to remove all stones from the Curling House a year later. Stones that were not removed were sold off at a profit of £21-10-0 to the club. The old Curling House was pulled down on safety grounds during the summer of 1963.