Sauchie and Bannockburn Curling Club

    Member of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club

default_header peakcharter

Wauk Mill Rink

The Wauk Mill rink (top left) sits on the banks of the Bannock Burn, a few hundred yards downstream from Beaton’s mill, where James III was killed on his retreat from the Battle of Sauchieburn on June 8th 1488. It has been many years since the outdoor rink was played on, with the last recorded game on the 1st of March 1947. Since that time it has fallen into a state of disrepair with access limited to a scramble down a muddy bank through thick brier bushes. The small bothy has long since been demolished, with only a trace of the original building (below). Large trees now grow out of its interior where keen curlers used to gather, desperate to get on the ice. On a snowy day, however, it is not hard to imagine the rink in its heyday, with laughter ringing round the small clearing, the roar of the stones and shouts of “sweep”

Walkmillrink walkmillbothy

Summary      Previous     Next     End

Summary      Previous     Next     End